This Communion song was to first song ever co-written by Jo Boyce and Mike Stanley and remains their best-known and best-loved song. It is widely used in schools and parishes across the UK and beyond.
Bread of life, truth eternal,
Broken now to set us free.
The risen Christ, his saving power,
Is here in Bread and Wine for me.
Lord, I know I am not worthy to receive you.
You speak the words and I am healed.
Here at your table, Love’s mystery:
One bread, one cup, one family.
Lord by your cross, you reconciled us to the Father.
We have only to believe.
Your sacrifice, our victory,
Now by your blood we are redeemed.
Lord, you gave your people manna in the desert,
Still you fulfil our every need.
Lord when we hunger, Lord, when we thirst,
We come to you and we receive
Words & Music by Joanne Boyce & Mike Stanley
Copyright © 1996 CJM MUSIC
CCLI & OneLicense No. 2098899
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Liturgical Use(s): Communion
There is also a beautiful instrumental version of this song on the album Every Secret Longing.
GUITAR TUTORIAL VIDEO
In this video Jo Boyce shares a few of her secret guitar tips for playing the song.
WHERE TO FIND IT
- Rejoice n Sing Audio Collection (4 CD set)
- Rejoice n Sing Digital Song Book (CD-Rom)
- “Love’s Mystery” (Piano Instrumental) – Every Secret Longing (CD) [Available on iTunes]
Updated version with string quartet is available on the following recordings:
- In the Company of Angels (CD)
- Behold the Lamb, EP (CD)
- Age to Age I – Songs for a Pilgrim People (CD) [Available on iTunes]
PDF SHEET MUSIC
- Bread of Life – String Quartet (Sheet Music PDF)
- Bread of Life – Easy Piano & Guitar (Sheet Music PDF)
- PDF Chord Sheet [Free Download]
What’s your story? Has this song has been part of your soundtrack of faith, or have you encountered it in a liturgy or at an event recently? Please leave a comment below…