The repentant words of the Responsorial Psalms for the season of Lent ready our hearts for the renewal of Easter.
From Ash Wednesday through to the fifth Sunday of Lent they serve to:
- Point us to God for mercy – “You have the message of eternal life, O Lord.” (Jn 6:69)
- Call us to turn to God with open hearts – “A pure heart create for me, O God.” (Ps 50:12)
- Proclaim God’s unending mercy – “Your ways, Lord, are faithfulness and love…” (Ps 24:10)
If you aren’t already singing the Psalms regularly in your school or parish, the season of Lent is a great time to start. Here are the links to accessible, contemporary settings that have been tried and tested.
- Ash Wednesday
- 1st Sunday of Lent, Year B
- 2nd Sunday of Lent, Year B
- 3rd Sunday of Lent, Year B
- 4th Sunday of Lent, Year B
- 5th Sunday of Lent, Year B
Of course, the Psalms can be prayed and sung outside of Mass too – so get creative with your use of these settings. You can use them for morning prayer and assembly; in the classroom or staffroom, during Children’s Liturgy of the Word even during your Lent Reconciliation Services.
We’d love to hear from you in the comments below…